On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 03:17:25PM -0500, Marco Peereboom wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 09:53:26PM +0200, Landry Breuil wrote:

> > > http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.opendarwin.webkit.gtk/575
> > >
> > > That is the public debate.
> >
> > Yeah, so why not trying the approach given in
> > http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.os.opendarwin.webkit.gtk/603 ?
>
> I am going to once I find this magical line of code.  This does not fix
> webkit magically though.  This is one of the many little things that are
> broken and contribute to the shaky 1.4 behavior.
>

> > That looks to make sense, it shouldnt override the values given (which
> > are NOT ulimits..) - make a proper bug report so that it's not lost ?

> > > I have been told this is a function of libsoup + web sockets that can't
> > > be fixed.  When the remote site sends a close libsoup does (can?) not
> > > receive an event so the connection lingers using up a file descriptor.
> > > I am unaware of any awesomeness web sockets brings us btw.  My non
> > > scientific observations seem to confirm that disabling websockets makes
> > > the browser a little more snappy.

> > > No.  It is disabled by default what I am trying to do is to keep it
> > > that way.
> >
> > Pointless..

> > > Sent it to the mailing list.  Haven't heard back.  I am not sure this is
> > > an OpenBSD only issue either.
> >
> > Sending the patch to a mailing list is the best way to make sure it gets
> > lost, when everything happens in bugzilla...
>
> Nothing happens in bugzilla on the gtk version.  What I have observed is
> that gtk is considered the bastard version and issues get simply closed
> as irrelevant because safari or chromium don't care.

yet your font fix is not for gtk.. so that might aswell be a 'general'
issue, worth reporting.

> I am yet again puzzled by your reluctance to fix things.  Webkit 1.4 is
> broken and upstream moves at the speed of molasses so lets keep it
> broken?

I'd be happy to see something commited, if it _isolates_ precises
issues, is linked to a proper bug report upstream (even if it is not
moving upstream, at least we can track it) instead of 'lets push a huge
button to fix a variety of things, and not bother about reporting issues
upstream'.

Landry