hmm, on Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 11:09:06PM +0200, roberth said that
> i can confirm the "memleak" that ultimatly bumps into the data ulimit.

correct.  ulimit stops it.  but firefox becomes even more
sluggish if that is possible.  and it gets worse:

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE     WAIT      TIME    CPU COMMAND
 9705 f          2    0  591M  599M sleep/0   poll     71:32 22.27% firefox-bin

note that RES is around 600M.  closing the offending tab does not
reclaim memory.  but when i close firefox, my free memory goes
from 549M to 1990M (2G RAM in the notebook).

who do i have to kill to get opera working again?
state of browsers on unix is a disgrace, trapped between
the firefox monster and webkit's grip.

it would be quite nice to have a prebuilt firefox-debug package
but i guess it must be a monster to build...

-f
--
i'll mention you on my organ donor card.