> Your diff does not solve the above problem since it installs packages
> from the PKG_PATH of the local environment, ignoring the 'source'
> attribute.  In particular, it fails in installing 'wget' in the
> example.

The intent is not to install from PKG_PATH but from pkg.conf.
PKG_PATH will be empty assuming puppet runs at the normal
boot sequence. I now think the variable should be emptied anyway.

> I think, the PKG_PATH of the local environment should entirely be
> ignored in the provider

Yes.

> and only the 'source' attribute be used.

I considered the 'source' attribute in Puppet a needless complexity.
Together with PKG_PATH and pkg.conf the whole mechanism is
too fancy for what it is trying to achieve.

I wanted centralized repository configuration. To that end, PKG_PATH
must be ignored, the source attribute removed, and pkg.conf managed
using the usual Puppet way.