Hi,

As some of you know, I have been trying to update the octave port in
OpenBSD, as I would like to use it's glpk support for linear
optimisation problems.

I have been working with John Eaton (upstream) on this and we almost
have a working build but there is a toolchain issue regarding the mixing
of g77 libraries (in particular, blas and lapack) with gcc4 objects.

See this:

I am not confident enough to make such a big change alone, so lets have
some input from some of the senior porters:

 * Can the GCC4 arches use gfortran by default instead of g77?
   Looking at fortran.port.mk, g77 is always default, however I notice
   some ports forcing g77 anyway. Perhaps a hangover from a legacy?

 * If the above point were possible, octave could be marked for gcc4
   only (either lang/gfrotran for gcc4 arches or lang/gcc/4.x for non
   gcc4 arches; see fortran.port.mk for how i arrived at this logic)

I am going to try building blas and lapack with gfortran to verify this
really is the issue, because as it stands, this is just a hunch.

I'm CCing upstream and steven@ (who imported lang/gfortran).

Cheers

--
Best Regards