Hi Andreas,

Andreas Vögele wrote on Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 03:34:47PM +0100:

> I decided to remove USE_GROFF from the Moose port.

Sounds reasonable for a Perl port, in particular since it seems
you checked the output quality, given the issues you found.

> There are two minor issues though. Both groff and mandoc render
> "=item B<< >>" as used in Moose's Pod documents wrongly.

Humm.  Looking e.g. at Moose::Object.3p, i don't really see a
problem, neither with groff nor with mandoc, and both agree.
Can you explain what exactly is wrong?

> Furthermore, mandoc doesn't wrap long URLs.

You mean, as in Moose::Spec::Role.3p, below SEE ALSO, Roles?

Groff doesn't wrap that one either, so both formatters agree.

> There are Scandinavian names in the AUTHORS section of
> MooseX::Getopt that mandoc handles much worse than groff.

Oh what a mess.  There are multiple problems here.

First, there is at least one bug in pod2man(1),
  src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/cpan/podlators/lib/Pod/Man.pm
That file defines \*(Ae in the preamble, but not \*(AE,
and then uses \*(AE in the character table, but not \*(Ae.
So both groff and mandoc misformat the given name "AEvar"
as just "var".

Second, the Perl preamble makes ample use of the roff \h'...'
escape sequence with quote-delimited numeric arguments in string
definitions for national language characters.  However, mandoc
does not handle quoted arguments for \h yet, printing garbage.
I should probably fix that in src/usr.bin/mandoc/mandoc.c.

And even if we fix both of these issues, those names are still
going to look ugly with both formatters.

> Thus p5-MooseX-Getopt keeps USE_GROFF for the time being.

Yes, that sounds reasonable for now.

Yours,
  Ingo