Currently, if you want to extract the distfiles for all the ports
in the tree, you need to install some extraction utilities from
ports:

cabextract, gtar, lha, unrar, unzip

(As well as the bzip2 and xz decompressors, which we'll need anyway.)

bsdtar, from archivers/libarchive, can extract all of the formats
above.  I've been wondering for some time if we shouldn't replace
the gtar extraction dependencies with bsdtar, and while there the
other crap as well.

On the other hand, bsdtar depends on xz which excludes gcc2 archs.

And there isn't any particular pressing (or maybe even good) reason
to just use a single tool.

What do other people think?

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de