On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 18:34:44 +0200, Marc Espie wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 05:57:55PM +0200, Pascal Stumpf wrote:
> > Yes, seems like you've found a hidden build dependency.  The only thing
> > execinfo.h does is enable the define _GLIBCXX_HAVE_EXECINFO_H, so I
> > think it's better to just put it in BUILD_DEPENDS.  libmagic, on the
> > other hand, would require a runtime dependency for the -java subpackage.
> > I'm inclined to disable it, though if anyone wants it ...
>
> What ? so that other stuff may actually depend on it ? this looks rather
> dangerous and weird.
>
> Could you look further ? what's the point of that define ? what further
> stuff down the road will require it ?

Profiling features of libstdc++.  It won't be pulled in unless anyone
requests it:

$ eg++ -D_GLIBCXX_PROFILE foo.cc

(and running the program collects advice in a file called
libstdcxx-profile.txt)

Though it's not a big deal, since you can also define
_GLIBCXX_HAVE_EXECINFO_H on the command line (see
libstdc++-v3/doc/html/manual/profile_mode.html).