On 12/17/12 19:02, Sébastien Marie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As my previous message seems to get very small audience, I rewrite
> it... please excuse my previous mail, which was bad written.
>
> The purpose is to permit the use of out-of-date(1) with customized
> mk.conf(5), in particular the usage of PORTSDIR_PATH (search path for
> package specifications).
>
> The patch replace the search of path of installed packages, from a
> directory existence check, to something that let make search the
> patch for us, and parse the errors (in order to set not-found
> packages).
>
> My use case is the "mystuff" directory (with is included by default
> in PORTSDIR_PATH). With the patch, packages build from mystuff are
> found by out-of-date (and so, reported as not up-to-date if there
> are), else there are reported as "not found".
>
> If this proposal is not good, please let me know.
>
> Thanks.

out-of-date is not really used any more, don't know why your using it.

pkg_add -ui should update any out of date installed packages from PKG_PATH.

The packages in PKG_PATH should be built on a clean system with no
packages installed, or present in PKG_PATH. Because nothing is installed
or present out-of-date can't be used.

If your build and running systems are combined then look at dpb with the
-R, -u, -U options. See comment some packages only build on a clean
system. dpb -R works by looking at out of date packages in PKG_PATH not
those installed, out-of-date will not find out of date packages in
PKG_PATH which haven't been installed, leaving broken packages in
PKG_PATH if out-of-date is used as a rebuilding tool.

dpb -R and out-of-date do not cope with packages with incorrect
dependencies, and there are quite a few of those in the ports tree.
Cleaning and building everything avoids packages not being rebuilt
because of some of those incorrect dependencies, or causing failures
when used for building other packages.