On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 11:05:27PM -0500, Lawrence Teo wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 07:20:53PM +0100, Markus Lude wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > attached are updates of daq to version 2.0.0 and snort to version
> > 2.9.4.0. Build on i386 and sparc64 works. Been running it on sparc64 for
> > two days with low traffic.
> >
> > Please test, comment.
>
> Hi Markus,
>
> Thank you for the update!
>
> I have tested both diffs and here are my comments.  The Snort rule
> categories are going through a reorganization (please see
> http://blog.snort.org/2012/10/rule-category-reorganization-phase-3.html)
> where a lot of rules have moved to new files.
>
> During this transition, some old rule files are now empty; for example,
> web-iis.rules now has no rules because most of them have been moved to
> the new server-iis.rules file.
>
> I have added a patch to your snort-2.9.4.0 diff so that snort.conf will
> include the new rule filenames.  While there, I have also sync'ed a few
> parts of snort.conf with the snort.conf in the Dec 6, 2012 Snort ruleset
> (the latest ruleset I have access to) to make them consistent.  Apart
> from that, everything remains the same.  I have made no changes to your
> daq-2.0.0.diff.

The (not your) changes in snort.conf are a mess. Sometimes stuff is
forgotten for a release, old stuff seems to creep in again, ...

I'm ok with adding the new rule files names.

I received a mail noting that neither the snort package nor the VRT rule
set does come with an (even empty) local.rules. So I think we should
comment out the line

include $RULE_PATH/local.rules

in snort.conf.

> I have tested the attached snort-2.9.4.0a.diff and daq-2.0.0.diff on
> amd64 and i386 using my simple test procedure described at
> http://lteo.net/blog/2012/10/26/an-easy-way-to-test-your-snort-rules/
> and it works as expected.

Thanks!

Regards,