Dear ports@,

Taking on espie's dated call on doing something cool with databases/sqlports port, and with his own initial work through databases/ports-readmes port, I've decided to fork ports-readmes, and create some very simple web-site to mirror the content generated by my ports-readmes fork.

        Introducing
                     http://ports.su/ .

The web-site is completely static, and all the pages get regenerated daily by downloading a fresh copy of the sqlports package from the snapshots, and running the forked ports-readmes:

        https://bitbucket.org/cnst/ports-readmes
        https://github.com/cnst/ports-readmes

An integrated search functionality might be implemented in the distant future; in the meantime, it is expected that Google Search might be good enough (in a couple of days).

        Why another ports site?

This site, in its current form, is by no means an openports.se (formerly ports.openbsd.nu) replacement; however, I believe it could exist to complement openports.se, and I've included links to openports.se in all the pages, so you could always go where you want without any extra hassle. Also included are links to CVSweb on OpenBSD.org and allbsd.org, so, sources can quickly be checked. Scripts that generate the whole site are available in github and bitbucket, under /cnst/ports-readmes.

        Why would I use ports.su instead of openports.se?

Due to ports.su being based on sqlports / ports-readmes:

* any given port can have more than one parent category

* category pages will include all the ports that list said category, and not just those for which the category is primary

* library, build and run dependencies are listed for each port

* based on official sqlports -- no parsing bugs ^_^

Basically, not trying to reinvent a square wheel.

Plus, a shorter and simpler ports.su address is better if you are too tired to type, or want to look through the ports tree on a PDA. :-P

Comments, questions, forks and pull requests are welcome. Powered by OpenBSD and nginx, available via IPv4 and IPv6. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Constantine.