On 2013/05/04 12:30, Vadim Zhukov wrote:
> This patch shuts up update-mime-database(1) when having KDE4 and/or
> chemical packages installed. Looking at the code, there are already
> some non-standard items (x-* ones), so I don't thing we're going
> to make things worse than they already are.

Given that RFC6648 (June 2012) recommends *not* using the x- prefix for
"unofficial" protocol extensions, I think things like chemical/* have a
similar status to e.g. x-scheme-handler. At present, considering various
x-* types are already there, and chemical/* is widely used in its field,
I'd be fairly happy to add that as a top-level type.

There was a previous attempt at registering chemical/, which didn't have
sufficient support; I would encourage a suitable person to try again
under the new RFC6838 rules (January 2013) which seem considerably
easier.

I'm less sure about adding all and uri ... all/* seems to me as if
it's an internal-use hack, and uri/* is annoying as it appears that
x-scheme-handler is meant to be for the same use so it's splitting the
database up, it seems wrong and confusing that some programs should look
in uri/ when determining how to handle some protocol, and other programs
should look in x-scheme-handler/ for the same thing... Though OTOH if we
spam the console with warning messages for things which are a "normal"
situation we risk people ignoring messages when they *are* important...
Don't know...