On 05/15 10:51, Aaron Bieber wrote:
> This diff brings databases/node-pg and devel/node-generic-pool to the
> latest versions required for the lang/node update to 0.10.x.
>
> The tarballs are dependencies for the newer ports listed above, and
> should be decompressed into lang.  I did this to try and help keep the
> clutter in devel down.

IMO, the new node-* ports don't belong in lang.  They are not
implementations of programming languages, merely libraries to use
with one of them.

I know some porters say "devel is full", but that is a problem that
needs to be dealt with separately (i.e. mass moving of ports from
devel to somewhere else).  I would put node-rmdir in sysutils and the
rest in devel.

The diff and new ports mostly look good.  I recommend the following
changes (in addition to moving the new ports and updating the
CATEGORIES):

* Don't capitalize the first word in COMMENT.

* Unless there is a reason you have MODNODE_DEPENDS using "?=",
  change it to "=".

* One dependency per line for BUILD_DEPENDS in buffer-writer.

* Minor DESCR changes:

  async: remove or expand on: "Also supports component."
  buffer-writer and rmdir: Add . to end.

> Once these modules are in place I can update lang/node to the latest
> version without much pain, however:
>
> I am of the opinion we need to re-think having modules installed via
> ports, we are getting to the point where we will be essentially
> re-writing npm with .mk files in order to handle version dependencies. (
> example being: if we add another port that requires version 2.0.3 of
> node-generic-pool ).

I share this opinion.  node is similar to ruby in this regard.  Unless
a node library uses native code or is a dependency of another port, it's
probably not worth having in the ports system.  This is especially the
case with node due to the common node practice of depending on exact
versions of dependencies.

> THoughts, OKs?

After the changes mentioned above, OK jeremy@.

Thanks,