Thanks very much for that.

I'm not sure what I could have done differently, though. I grabbed my
packages and the snapshot all within an hour or two earlier today from the
same mirror. So I don't think it was a terribly unreasonable assumption on
my part that they were mutually compatible. Is there any way to know that
the snapshot and packages are out-of-sync so I can avoid any problems like
this in the future? I did notice that they were two days apart, but didn't
know whether that ipso facto meant there was a problem.

I read the FAQ on this topic (5.1) and it is understandably vague on this
point, but is it possible to determine when the next snapshot will be
released? If tomorrow, I will wait. If not, then I will just go ahead and
re-build the system from source.

Thank you again for your response.