I am also going to try to raise the limit to 2G. I agree with Scott that maybe the default limit should be raised. There are probably less people needing to lower it than those needing to raise it.

In case the default limit will not be raised I hope you put a install message shown by pkg_add (as is happening with Python, for example) so people will get aware that having just 512M will make it to crash.

From Scott's report, it sounds like he had exactly the same problem as me. I worked around the problem by switching browser, but a useful message at install time to raise the limit would have been very helpful. That message could also contain information about solving problem with horizontal stripes in pictures. Then we do not scare away newcomers.