On 8/15/13, Scott McEachern <sc...@blackstaff.ca> wrote:
> On 08/15/13 23:04, patrick keshishian wrote:
>> I have spent some time searching on-line without success.
>> I have seen suggestions of resetting print.print_printer and
>> print.printer setting in about:config and restarting ff. I have
>> tried these without success.
>>
>> I'm curious, for those who have success selecting print to
>> file from ff-22 (e.g., Scott McEachern if kind enough) can
>> you tell me what your about:config says for following
>> setting items?
>>
>>      print.print_printer
>>      print.printer_list
>>
>> Anyone else have any ideas I can/should try? Short of trying
>> a new snapshot (I think I'll wait after the "storm" to clear before
>> attempting a snapshot upgrade).
>>
>> Incidentally, I am not running any "modern" desktop environment,
>> if that is potentially the problem of gtk2 not "configuring" the/any
>> printer settings, or whatever "modern" desktop utility ff is
>> depending on to select printers.
>>
>> Previously, with ff-18, this worked just fine.
>>

> print_printer (not print.print_printer) is "user set", "string", and
> "Print to File"
> print.printer_list is "default" and "string".  No value is set.

Thanks Scott!

I know this is an old post (couldn't find anything newer), but
is mentioned print.print_printer (and it was in my about:config):

        http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problems_printing_web_pages

> FWIW, ffx 22 was compiled using dpb on a bog-standard install with no
> special compile options.  I have a ton of addons (noscript, adblockplus,
> ghostery, etc.) but none of them involve printing.  I do not have a
> physical printer attached.

mine compiled with 'make install'

> I'm not running any fancy desktop either, just spectrwm, but a lot of
> crap is still installed because I used this box to build the packages
> (that I use) from the July 11th snapshot.

good to know.

> $ pkg_info|grep gtk
> atk-2.8.0           accessibility toolkit used by gtk+
> gdk-pixbuf-2.28.2p1 graphic library for gtk+2
> gtk+2-2.24.20p1     multi-platform graphical toolkit
> gtk+3-3.8.2p3       multi-platform graphical toolkit
> gtk-update-icon-cache-2.24.20 gtk+ icon theme caching utility
> py-gtk2-2.24.0p1    GTK+2 Python bindings

Identical in my case as well:

$ pkg_info | grep -e gtk -e cairo
atk-2.8.0           accessibility toolkit used by gtk+
cairo-1.12.14p0     vector graphics library
gdk-pixbuf-2.28.2p1 graphic library for gtk+2
gtk+2-2.24.20p1     multi-platform graphical toolkit
gtk+3-3.8.2p3       multi-platform graphical toolkit
gtk-update-icon-cache-2.24.20 gtk+ icon theme caching utility
py-cairo-1.10.0p1   cairo bindings for Python
py-gtk2-2.24.0p1    GTK+2 Python bindings

> Also, a new snapshot appeared today, presumably with the 64-bit time
> stuff.  There's a "t32" directory under the amd64 snaps which I've never
> seen before, and presumably that's a snap from before the time switch.
> I'm downloading the new snap (64-bit) now and will give it a whirl, but
> it won't be finished for at least 8h.

Unless anyone else chimes in, I'll see when I have some down-
time to do an upgrade. Most likely following weekend.

Thanks for your time Scott!
--patrick