On 06/11/13 9:25 PM, Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado wrote:
On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 09:04:15PM -0500, Brad Smith wrote:
On 06/11/13 8:54 PM, Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado wrote:
On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 07:15:24PM -0500, Brad Smith wrote:
On 05/11/13 7:44 PM, Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado wrote:
On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 10:41:35AM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
On 2013/11/05 03:04, Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado wrote:
The patch adds lzip support to the ports framework. I tested
"EXTRACT_SUFX = .tar.lz" with some ports and everything works without
problems.

In the past we've held off on diffs like this (e.g. for xz) until
it was actually used by a number of ports, I haven't really run into
it in the wild, do you know of any software distributed using lzip?

Yes, some GNU and Savannah projects:
rsync --list-only -r rsync://ftp.gnu.org/gnu | grep '\.lz$'
rsync --list-only -r rsync://dl.sv.nongnu.org:/releases | grep '\.lz$'

Graphicsmagick and imagemagick also have tarballs compressed with lzip.

GraphicsMagick and ImageMagick provide XY compressed archives.

They provide tarballs compressed with gz, bzip2, xz and lzip.
ImageMagick also use 7zip and zip. Basically they use everything :)

The GNU project has standardized on using XZ.

Do you have any document or link about that?. IIRC, GNU doesn't have
preference by any file compressor, except obviously gzip.

https://www.gnu.org/prep/ftp.html :
"Various compression formats are used on the server: .gz is gzip; .bz2
is bzip2; .xz is xz; .lz is lzip."

Automake, GNU tar and texinfo support the lzip format.

<rant>I guess the xz format is more used because this is the sucessor of
the original lzma-utils (that was an horrible file format despite of the
good compression algorithm).</rant>

Is there anything else?

I've not found more projects using lzip. Anyway, the commits are done.

The point wasn't whether projects provide more than one format or whether
there is overlap between lzip/xz. It's to point out projects that provide
say gzip and lzip archivers or only lzip archives. I don't have a problem
adding more formats, but there should be real purpose for doing so and I
haven't seen that so far.

I've not seen any project releasing only lzipped tarballs except zutils.

My initial intention adding support for lzip was to have an alternative
to xz 100% compatible with VAX for the patches and tarballs created and
hosted directly by the OpenBSD porters in their servers. That is the
reason for the adittional change to PATCH_CASES. The support for
projects releasing tarballs compressed with lzip is just a side effect.

XZ archives are fine with VAX. It's just getting a small number of upstream projects to not use stupid compression settings when initially creating the archives; the settings being used are dumb even when not taking VAX into consideration. There is zero necessity for LZIP for OpenBSD developers creating their own archives. Just don't crank the knobs to their maximum compression setting so to speak for no reason.

believed to be clean.