On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 03:22:20PM +0100, Landry Breuil wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 03:12:58PM +0100, Jérémie Courrèges-Anglas wrote:
> > Landry Breuil <lan...@rhaalovely.net> writes:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > No need to LIB_DEPENDS on cairo/glib2, gtk+3 already does,
> >
> > Is "No need to" to be interpreted here as "should not", ie. a general
> > porting recommendation?
> >
> > Upstream explicitely uses this:
> >   `pkg-config --libs gtk+-3.0 glib-2.0 cairo gio-2.0`
> >
> > If for whatever reason our gtk+3 doesn't depend on cairo anymore the
> > deps will be out of sync.  And I see no problem with listing direct deps
> > explicitely.  This question is afaik not specific to gtk+3.
>
> smaller is better, but that's a matter of taste :)

Usually what _i_ do is only specifying direct deps if upstream insists
on using a particular version - and that tends to bitrot over time if
you forget to update it. Ie look at www/webkit's LIB_DEPENDS.

But no one will yell at you for specifying gtk3/glib2/cairo, though in
that particular case i really doubt gtk3 will stop using glib2 & cairo
someday.

Landry