Might anyone be able to furnish some advice on how to replace mysql with mariadb in -current (amd64)?

Building the mariadb port in isolation is no problem whatsoever. But other ports that have mysql as a dependency are a problem, as they are (apparently) not configured to consider mariadb a suitable substitute. Of course, hacking Makefiles is an option, but one that I would love to avoid if at all possible.

I have seen some noise on the interwebs alluding to the fact that mariadb will replace mysql in OpenBSD in the "next release", but those mentions are old enough to make me think those plans may have fallen by the wayside.

Many thanks in advance.