On 2014/05/08 08:50, Nils R wrote:
> i tried to install clementine, but building the dependency
> devel/sparsehash failed with "virtual memory exhausted:
> Cannot allocate memory" (with freshly pulled ports):

Raise the datasize limit for your login class in login.conf,
you will need to logout and back in for the change to take
effect. Alternatively just install the dep from packages.

> Regarding 2), no ABI change was documented, but how can i be sure?

I start by looking at the list of exported functions from nm -g
(see http://www.openbsd.org/faq/ports/specialtopics.html#SharedLibs),
if the list changes this gives a clear "you need to bump" - removing
functions needs a major bump (libfoo.so.major.minor) - adding functions
at least needs a minor bump.

But you also need to look for changes in function parameters, if
e.g. the old version has somefunction(int) and the new version has
somefunction(*ptr, long) they're clearly incompatible so need a
major bump, but you also need to look for other changes; if a
structure passed between function changess then this will often
also need a bump.

To look for this type of change, I diff the old+new source,
run diffstat on it to look for unimportant changes to filter
out and pipe it through filterdiff (from textproc/patchutils) to
remove these, then use mk.1 eyeballs on the remaining diffs.
This is also good for identifying quiet security fixes that
people might have made without mentioning it in release notes ;)

e.g.

 diff -w -r clamav-0.98.{1,3} | filterdiff -x "*/m4/*" -x "*/win32/*" -x
"configure*" -x "*/docs/*" -x "*/Makefile*" -x "*/docs/*" -x "*/config/*"