On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 10:16:19PM +0200, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> PS: I wanted to use NEED_ROOT, like FreeBSD, but espie@ has insisted
>     that we be different.

Gnagnagna! :)

NEED_ROOT is highly ambiguous. What the fuck does it mean exactly ?
FAKE_AS_ROOT is explicit, at least.  I'm sorry, but the FreeBSD name
*sucks big hairy balls*.

A few things we discussed.
- I think that at least for some ports, it might be simpler to prepare
things with FAKE_AS_ROOT=Yes, so that the fake area is filled up correctly,
with things in the right place and the right mode ? so I don't expect to get
rid of this entirely... the goal being that a completely polished port
should *not* require FAKE_AS_ROOT=Yes.

- I do think that it might make some sense to actually be able to replace
install/chown and friends with our own scripts that would log things...
That at least is trivial to do, by putting the right scripts under
WRKDIR/bin...