On 2014-08-03 16:24:08, Christian Weisgerber <na...@mips.inka.de> wrote:
> Why is GTK1 better than GTK2?
>
> Because I can run a GTK1 application, such as xmms, on my sparc64
> (with X11 forwarding to a remote display, although that shouldn't
> matter).  When I try the same with a GTK2 application like netsurf
> or gpicview it crashes pretty quickly.
>
> I built netsurf with debugging symbols and the crash is deep in
> cairo < pango-cairo.  I haven't examined gpicview.
>
> Any other apps I should try?

I wonder if this might be the exact same thing I reported in this
email: http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=140295195921432&w=2

Briefly, I see crashes in pango/cairo in editors/leafpad and
japanese/gwaei (both GTK2 applications) which seem to be extremely
frequent when they are displaying Japanese text, and somewhat
uncommon when they display only the English Latin alphabet.

FWIW, I also noticed that xombrero (also a GTK2/GTK3 application)
has a tendency to crash when I go to Japanese pages, to the point
that I open Firefox when I know I need to go to a Japanese page,
but that's also because I haven't been able to figure out how to
get xombrero to accept input from a Japanese IME (inputmethods/uim
and inputmethods/anthy) without changing any LC_* variables to
Japanese, which has the side effect of changing its default fonts
to ones that aren't very pretty when they're used to render the
Latin alphabet.

A release or two ago and I could input Japanese into xombrero
with whatever defaults shipped with the OS, but after some locale
commits it stopped working.  I just assumed that it wasn't
supposed to work that way before, and the way things are now are
more technically correct WRT POSIX or something, even if I
personally would rather it not be.  :)

Since pango and cairo are both used to render text, I assume
there's something about non-English-Latin scripts that it
doesn't like.  I'm not sure how well it likes umlauts, Greek, or
Cyrillic text though.  Since I don't speak any of those languages,
I seldom find myself reading text written in them.

--
Bryan