On 2014/08/14 17:07, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 12:40:10 +0100
> Nigel Taylor wrote:
>
> > This does work
> >
> > sudo tcpdump -s 1500 -w - | wireshark -k -i -
> >
> > User needs to be in the _wireshark group, you can remove the suid from
> > /usr/local/bin/dumpcap, the suid is only required if doing captures with
> > dumpcap.
>
> Aye, I must be blind to have missed the lack of global execute
> permissions on dumpcap. Having said that I'm sure wiresharks error could
> have mentioned not being able to execute dumpcap.
>
> p.s. I couldn't find the wireshark group mentioned anywhere in a
> pkg-readme or pkg_info -M

The readme could do with a quick mention of nosuid mounts, but other
than that I thought it was pretty clear..

$ cat /pkg-readmes/wireshark-1.10.9
$OpenBSD: README-main,v 1.1.1.1 2014/07/14 08:44:51 landry Exp $

| Running wireshark-1.10.9 on OpenBSD

Packet dissectors (here in Wireshark, and in other programs such as tcpdump)
have a long history of security problems. In wireshark, these are isolated
from the packet capture code (which must have root privileges) by using a
separate program, dumpcap, to run the capture.

/usr/local/bin/dumpcap has been installed setuid root, with read/execute
access granted only to users in the _wireshark group. For normal interactive
use of wireshark, add your username to this group:

  usermod -G _wireshark username

If you will only run wireshark offline on files captured using tcpdump -w,
this step is not necessary.

DO NOT RUN WIRESHARK AS ROOT.