Ah, I'm sorry, I didn't spot that you were sticking to "close to 5.6".

> >             I am just trying to build a single port using a port
> > snapshot and the sytem from 10 of August which are suppose to be epsilon
> > close to 5.6 release.

If you mean ports.tar.gz, I definitely recommend fetching the files from
anoncvs to make sure they are as expected. Jason's suggested command to
fetch a new tree is correct, but since you already have an unpacked tree
you can 'cd /usr/ports; cvs up -Pd -r OPENBSD_5_6". There might not be
any changes and this might not fix things, but at least the tree will
then be in a known state that is expected to work.

The other thing is that you'll need any packages on the system to either
be from the right snapshot (as long as I didn't lose track of which version
is which, they will be dated July 31) or built from an OPENBSD_5_6 ports
tree, if you have a mixture of packages from earlier snapshots then there
may be problems.

> > Is rrdtool package broken for 5.6 release?

It isn't - I have it installed on a system.

$ ls -l /usr/local/bin/rrdtool
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  bin  49016 Jul 31 11:21 /usr/local/bin/rrdtool