On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 09:30:35PM -0700, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
> I setup a box w/gnome for someone using the latest amd64 snapshot +
> gnome snapshot package. The box has radeondrm with the fw_update
> installed.
>
> I followed the directions in the pkg-readmes to start dbus-daemon,
> avahi, gdm. The stuff all starts, and gdm pops up the gnome screen
> with the clock at the top and some buttons for a calendar (and some
> slider options that don't do much of anything).
>
> But, that's all that pops up. There's no login or options to do
> anything else that I can figure out!
>
> Am I missing something obvious? From reading other people's
> experiences, it sounds like gnome should "just work" at this point.
>
> fvwm works fine, of course.

GDM is currently broken. Well it's gnome-shell really that is the cullprit.
It's being worked on.
You can use 'startx' with the following .xinitrc for the time being:
ck-launch-session gnome-session

Sorry about that. (it seems the issue is a regression in gnome-shell that is
only visible on non-systemd OS)

--
Antoine