On 01/20/2015 10:01 PM, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>> b) For local reception, syslogd is a tightly coupled system service
>> >    i) using sendsyslog(2)
>> >    ii) jailed / stack protector failures are logged without times
>> >        and syslogd understands this
>> >    iii) started as early as possible to remember the boot story
>> >
>> > c) For syslog protocol proxying, syslogd can hand off to a seperate daemon
>> >    doing tricky remote delivery services we don't do yet
> And of course this "remote" delivery can be "to another syslog running on
> the same machine", which is the way I'd recommend running on OpenBSD if you
> have a requirement to use some other syslogd. (If you don't want to log
> to disk twice, you could just use memory buffers.)

Yup, and this is exactly what I'm doing: I forward everything to localhost, and
pick it up with syslog-ng. However, in order to make sure that everything gets
logged, I have to start syslog-ng to listen before I start syslogd, which
means... a dirty hack to /etc/rc. sigh.

But at least I know I needn't bother trying to "improve" this.