For ages I have I have selected the snapshot version when installing a new copy
of Postfix.
Never had a problem .... until now on 5.6

Working on a clean disk installed an out-of-the-box setup.
Then installed Postfix snapshot. The one with no options. It didn't finish
cleanly.
I thought I had screwed up so wiped HD and reinstalled 5.6
Did the Postfix install as before - no joy.
Made a note of text that arrived after install finished.

Cleaned up again - fresh install and installed Postfix stable version.
No problem.
Somehow managed to lose the text I copied from the snapshot version 8-(

So here is the difference between the two versions near where the error message
said
something about "install -d -o root -g wheel -m 755 $CONFIG_DIR/postfix-files.d"
-----------------
>From postfix-install in /usr/ports/mail/postfix/snapshot/files/postfix-install

# Function: install the postfix configuration files from the samples

do_configs()

    POSTFIX="${PREFIX}/sbin/postfix"

    if [ -d $CONFIG_DIR ]; then
        if [ ! -d $CONFIG_DIR/postfix-files.d ]; then
            install -d -o root -g wheel -m 755 $CONFIG_DIR/postfix-files.d
        fi
        for file in main.cf.proto master.cf.proto postfix-files ; do
            if [ ! -f $CONFIG_DIR/$file ]; then
                install -o root -g wheel -m 644 $SAMPLE_CONFIG_DIR/$file
$CONFIG_DIR
            fi
        done

>From postfix-install in /usr/ports/mail/postfix/stable/files/postfix-install

# Function: install the postfix configuration files from the samples

do_configs()

    POSTFIX="${PREFIX}/sbin/postfix"

    if [ -d $CONFIG_DIR ]; then
        echo ""
        $POSTFIX upgrade-configuration
        echo ""

        echo "+---------------"
        echo "| The existing configuration files in $CONFIG_DIR have been
preserved."
        echo "| You may want to compare them to the current sample files,"
        echo "| $SAMPLE_CONFIG_DIR, and update your configuration as needed."
        echo "+---------------"
        echo ""
    else
        install -d -o root -g wheel -m 755 $CONFIG_DIR
        install -o root -g wheel -m 644 $SAMPLE_CONFIG_DIR/* $CONFIG_DIR

        echo "+---------------"
        echo "| Configuration files have been installed in $CONFIG_DIR."
        echo "| Please update these files to meet your needs."
        echo "+---------------"
    fi

    $POSTFIX set-permissions
    $POSTFIX check

I don't relish the idea of re-doing the install as I now have lots of other
apps installed.

I have supplied the above info in case it can help somebody else.

/Rod/

Rod/

>From the land "down under": Australia.
Do we look <umop apisdn> from up over?