On 2015/04/12 20:19, Jérémie Courrèges-Anglas wrote:
> Eric Lalonde <eric.c.lalo...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > The below diff fixes a bug in the assumptions ntop 1.1 makes about
> > terminal column widths. When ntop is run on terminals with more than 257
> > columns, the printHeader() function will write a NULL byte beyond the
> > end of the progName string. While I was there I converted sprintf() to
> > snprintf(), since one of the variables written to the progName string is
> > osName, which is ultimately populated from the output of `sh
> > config.guess` during configure. I don’t believe this method guarantees
> > osName can never cause progName to overflow. The patch itself is meant
> > to be minimally invasive while addressing the problem.
>
> I took a look at your diff, but right now ntop is completely busted on
> amd64 (last update I did was on Apr 5).  What architecture(s) are you
> using?
>
> > About getting this patch upstream: I don’t see how to do that, since
> > upstream has moved onto a re-write called ‘ntop-ng’. I can’t even find
> > old versions of ntop there. I did look on the MASTER_SITES url. There is
> > a newer version of the ntop tarball hosted there, ntop-1.2a2.tar.gz, but
> > the relevant source has this issue as well.
>
> Given your description of the situation, I would be fine with adding
> such a patch... if the existing ntop port works on amd64. :)
>
> Is there a reason not to move to a newer ntop release?

It's a completely different thing. It would be nice to have, but (at least
as of the last version I looked at) it requires some messing about with
resolvers. I'll try to remember which machine that tree is on.

> > Perhaps I should just use iftop ;)
>
> Then perhaps we should delete ntop? ;)

The current one is IMHO worse than useless and I am perfectly OK with
removing it. I mean, this post here talks about sprintf and buffer
overflows. It uses pcap, no privsep so it's running as root FFS!