Hi Folks,

robert@ has been so kind to do a bulk build with binutils 2.17 on
amd64, sent me a list of ports that failed to build and gave me access
to the build logs.  I've analyzed most of these now.  I'm looking into
the harder ones myself, but below is a list of ports with "trivial"
issues.  These basically fall into two categories:

1. Ports that link by invoking ld directly:

  lang/tinyscheme
  net/honeyd
  security/ADMfzap
  www/mongrel2
  x11/pinot
  audio/swh-plugins (-nostartfiles)

These ports dont include /usr/lib/crtbeginS.o and therefore run into
an issue referencing __guard_local, resulting in messages like:

  ld: foobar.o: relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against `__guard_local' can
  not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

The solution here is to patch the port to link by invoking cc.

2. Ports that attempt to link code compiled without -fPIC into a
   shared library:

  devel/valgrind
  textproc/mupdf
  www/vteplugin
  x11/cool-retro-term
  x11/kmplayer

  ld: foobar.o: relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against `foobar' can not be
  used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

The solution here is to make sure the relevant code gets compiled with -fPIC.

I've already fixed a couple of important instances of both categories.
I invite maintainers/porters to fix the others on the list, or declare
them low-priority.  espie@ already indicated that x11/kmplayer isn't a
priority.

Thanks,

Mark