Dear porters,

A while back, I wrote to you about creating a port for Biber: http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=142843309027621&w=2

The arc of history bends toward biblatex and away from bibtex as far as I can see, and biber appears to be an increasingly integral part of that. In particular, if you want to use author-date styles with biblatex, you're pretty much required to use biber.

When I inquired about creating a port previously, people suggested I hold off until the release of the port for Texlive 2014, in case it was included there. Since it doesn't look like it was, I'm now back asking about whether people think this should be a separate port. I believe on other platforms it's typically not packaged as part of Texlive, but is recommended by texlive packages.

I'm willing to take a crack at porting this. It does, however, depend on a BUNCH of Perl CPAN libraries. Any words of wisdom on that front? If I drop a biber port on the mailing list, it's likely to come with about 20 associated CPAN ports as well...

Cheers,
Peter