> On 10 Nov 2015, at 10:29, Dmitrij D. Czarkoff <czark...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Joerg Jung said:
>> +RUN_DEPENDS=                fonts/terminus-font
>
> Maybe it would be better to replace terminus with dejavu sans mono in
> config.def.h?  IIRC terminus ships with less glyphs.

I wanted to keep the look&feel the same as with the previous/other packages,
to not "break" existing setups.

Looks like the suckless people change the color and font settings every
N months, depending on who is the current most active maintainer.
… and finally, they introduced a command line switch for them :)

For OpenBSD we introduced a consistent look&feel using the same
color (custom grey color scheme) and font (terminus) in all suckless
ports (dwm, dmenu, surf, tabbed, …) some years ago.

I’m fine with changing the font, but then we should change it in all related
ports.

Another option is to remove the font patches from all suckless ports, keeping
the default “monospace” and let the user override it with whatever he likes
in .fonts.conf as described here and here:
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html and here
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/106070/changing-monospace-fonts-system-wide

I also would like to hear what the port maintainer has to say here, Jim?!

> Also, I have some weird issues with font rendering: only a handful of
> non-ASCII characters render in the same size as ASCII, and the rest of
> them are tiny; all of non-ASCII characters I tried apparently have wrong
> width.  I am not sure that the issue is in dmenu though.

Yep, looks like a terminus issue to me.