On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 01:26:05 +0100
j...@wxcvbn.org (Jérémie Courrèges-Anglas) wrote:

> Adam Wolk <adam.w...@tintagel.pl> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 00:12:21 +0100
> > j...@wxcvbn.org (Jérémie Courrèges-Anglas) wrote:

> >> Actually the cmake port has support for automatically set the
> >> proper version.  But you have to name stuff appropriately, see
> >> below.
> >
> > Nice, didn't know about that :)

> >> If there's no good reason to disable it, ship it.
> >>

> > There was no reason in disabling the static lib except the fact
> > that I don't intend to link against it.

> >> Does that mean that they are useless?  Could they be used as
> >> testcases? Right now this port ought to set NO_TEST=Yes
> >>
> > They are sample client & servers using the library. They don't
> > really match a 'test case' and are more like 'examples'. Don't
> > think anyone would like them installed by default.

> >> No idea.
>
> Hint: do you know what software packages out there use
> libwebsockets?  If so, would they beneficiate from
> FindLibWebSockets.cmake?  Do you know whether we should watch out for
> those packages automatically picking up libwebsockets?

I am not aware of any that I use. I am planning to use this lib for a
(currently) closed source project hence the packaging effort for
libwebsockets (so I don't have to switch to Linux for development). The
library is quite popular though I saw:
 - https://gna.org/bugs/?23283 - request to use it for Freeciv-web,
 - 165 closed issues and 20 releases (github stats)
 - people suggesting it over twitter when I asked about using websockets
   with a C app

I personally plan to just include FindLibWebSockets.cmake inside my
project as it's usually the case for custom cmake scripts.

So no, I don't think it's really required to ship the file right now.

> >> Updated tarball attached, with the following changes:
> >> - ship static lib ans remove SHARED_ONLY
> >> - correctly name the entry in SHARED_LIBS, removing the need
> >>   for -DSOVERSION and the patch
> >> - add NO_TEST=Yes
> >>

> > I tested your attached tarball and it's much nicer than my initial
> > attempt. I'm OK with that shipping as the first port.
> >
> >> I'd prefer to put this port in the "www" category.
> >>

> > I'm OK with the www category, devel does feel a bit overloaded - I
> > picked it due to devel/jansson library shipping in that category.
>
> Updated tarball.

Updated tarball looks good. Just a devel -> www change.

Regards,
Adam