On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 12:53:23PM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2015/11/14 00:50, Uwe Werler wrote:
> > >
> > > " Using Tor2web trades off security for convenience and usability."
> > > https://tor2web.org/
> > >
> > > Please don't.
> > >
> > From man:
> >
> >        Tor2webMode 0|1
> >            When this option is set, Tor connects to hidden services
> >            non-anonymously. This option also disables client connections to
> >            non-hidden-service hostnames through Tor. It must only be used
> > when
> >            running a tor2web Hidden Service web proxy. To enable this option
> >            the compile time flag --enable-tor2webmode must be specified.
> >            (Default: 0)
> >
> > I think it shouldn't be turned on per default - even if it's not enabled
> > per default in config.
> >
> > There are three scenarios therefore this mode is usefull:
> >
> > 1. You want to provide a http proxy which is able to connect to tor HS for
> > clients (resolving onion domains).
> > 2. You want to connect a reverse proxy to a HS.
> > 3. You want to inter connect two (or more) machines within the tor network
> > in client-server-mode.
> >
> > Regards Uwe
> >
> > --

Stuart, I fully agree - and thanks for the explanation.

The last days I intensively tested tinc on top of tor in different
scenarios (yeah - layer 2 via tor). With this mode enabled on the
"client" machine one get's more throughput - increased by probably
40-50%. I measured rates up to 9,6 Mbps instead of max. 5 Mbps.