On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 12:05:56AM +0100, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> There is currently some talk of dropping the vax architecture.  I'm
> cautiously optimistic that it will happen.  This would allow us to
> remove all sorts of cruft from the ports tree.
>
> First, there is vax itself.  Removing support from infrastructure/ is
> straightforward.  Then Makefiles and patches need to be grepped for
> LIBM_CHECK, vax, and __vax__.  Most of this stuff can probably just
> be removed, some may require non-mechanical changes.
>
> The vax is the last static architecture and there will never be
> another one.  This makes for some major cleaning.  At least
> CONFIGURE_SHARED, NO_SHARED_ARCHS, NO_SHARED_LIBS, and SHARED_ONLY
> can be removed and PFRAG.shared can be folded into PLIST.  We may
> want to script some of that since it touches hundreds of ports.
>
> I expect espie@ will suggest that we don't do a concerted clean-up
> right away and instead remove these things as part of regular port
> updates.  From previous experience, I don't think this works well.
> A small part of the ports tree gets updated a lot, but most of it
> is touched only rarely.  Also, the idea of cleaning up old cruft
> is to get rid of it, not to add yet another thing to remember when
> working on a port.
>
> Once the ball drops, we'll need to coordinate any clean-up actions.

        For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped
to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer
be part of the alphabet.  The only kase in which "c" would be retained
would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later.  Year 2
might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the
same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with
"i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.
        Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear
with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12
or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants.
Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi
ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz
ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli.
        Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud
hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.