On 2016/03/19 23:18, Bryan C. Everly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get us more JDBC drivers in the ports tree and was wondering
> this.  The Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server jdbc drivers are closed source
> yet they post the jar files online for them.
>
> Could I set up a port that packages them and just set the
> PERMIT_PACKAGE_CDROM to "No" to prevent us from shipping them on the CD?
>
> Or is there some subtle license issue that, as a n00b I would run afoul of?
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan

Microsoft don't grant distribution rights for their SQL Server JDBC
driver so it shouldn't be on ftp either. So it could go in ports but
would need PERMIT_PACKAGE_FTP/PERMIT_DISTFILES_FTP=Restrictive license
or similar.

For SQL Server it's probably a better idea to package jtds though,
it works well for me.