On 2016/03/20 00:36, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:
> Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> writes:
>
> > On 2016/03/17 21:04, Michael McConville wrote:
> >> It's only got fixing tweaks since it was imported in 1998, nothing
> >> depends on it, and (this is a good red flag for deletion candidates) it
> >> still has patches removing gets(3). The source files in the tarball are
> >> timestamped 1993-94 and the opening paragraph of the README is:

> >> What seems to be the HOMEPAGE of the project (there isn't one in the
> >> Makefile) declares it "compatible with IRIX 5.3 and IRIX 6.1", and
> >> points users to IRIS dmedia tools if they want a "better quality
> >> implementation":
> >>
> >> http://structbio.vanderbilt.edu/comp/soft/freeware/mpegaudio.html
> >>
> >> I'm assuming no one is still using it?
> >>

> > Is there anything else that can encode to MPEG layer 1 in the tree?
>
> The gets->fgets patches are broken.  I doubt anyone would actually use
> it after seeing the erratic interactive behavior; getting it to actually
> convert a wav file to mp1 took me three attempts.
>
> From my point of view it can just go.

Hmm this does ring some bells from when I used it to generate an mp1
to test decoding for an update to another program...

In terms of actual usage Layer 1 was mainly used for DCC (VCDs used
layer 2 which is supported by more programs) so I don't see much use
for this other than creating test files for decoders, and now I found
http://mpgedit.org/mpgedit/mpgedit/testdata/mpegdata.html which has
the ISO test files so this port is probably no longer needed.