>- How confident are you, that colortree will not break those promises?

  ^^^^^^^

That is the issue.

During pledge development, we were aggressive, because we could adapt
quickly, and could always pull it before release.  In particular it
allowed us to refine the kernel semantics by learning in a large body
of code.

Nowadays, that privilege is no longer extended.  And especially in
ports, because it is not helping refine the kernel semantics.

I wish people would stop proposing pledge diffs in what feels to be an
aggressive fashion.  You've written a diff.  Find a few people to
help.  Collect tests that can be called COMPREHENSIVE.  If it gets
commited in 2 months because it is right, then it is a win.  If it
gets commited early and is wrong, well, that would be sloppy and pushy
behaviour on your part.