On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 09:50:10AM -0500, Jordon wrote:

> > On Aug 20, 2016, at 8:19 AM, Adam Wolk <adam.w...@tintagel.pl> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 01:27:47PM -0500, Jordon wrote:
> >> I was kind of surprised to see that there was no port for the Brave web
> >> browser so I figured this would be a chance to take a stab at making a
> >> port.
> >>
> >> The first thing I discovered about Brave is that it requires nodejs 6.1 or
> >> greater and OpenBSD only has a port of the 4.x branch.  Ok, lets start
> >> there???
> >>
> >> To build nodejs 6.4 (current latest), i need python 2.6 or 2.7.  I
> >> installed python 2.7.11 from pkg but running ./config for nodejs still
> >> fails because it can???t find python.  I think it is because there is no
> >> ???python", but ???python2.7???.  Perhaps a symlink is needed?
> >>

> > When you installed python it told you:
> > If you want to use this package as your default system python, as root
> > create symbolic links like so (overwriting any previous default):
> > ln -sf /usr/local/bin/python2.7 /usr/local/bin/python
> > ln -sf /usr/local/bin/python2.7-2to3 /usr/local/bin/2to3
> > ln -sf /usr/local/bin/python2.7-config /usr/local/bin/python-config
> > ln -sf /usr/local/bin/pydoc2.7  /usr/local/bin/pydoc
>
> Yeah, i figured I forgot to read that output.  Sorry...
>

> > you can see that message yourself by running: pkg_info -q python
>
> Good to know, because I will probably make that mistake again!
>

> > This wouldn't matter if you started porting actually using the ports
> > infrastructure versus doing it out of tree.
>
> This is interesting.  I thought it would be better to build outside of the
> ports infrastructure first to prove it could work, and then ???port??? it to
> the ports system.
>

> >> So??? what is my next step?  Should I contact the maintainer of node 4.3.0
> >> and request node 6.x?  Should I attempt it myself?  Is someone already
> >> working on Brave and I am wasting my time?  (although the experience of
> >> doing this may still be worth it..)
> >>

> > You next step should be to step back & read the ports guide.
> >
> > https://www.openbsd.org/faq/ports/guide.html
>
> I did skim this a bit first, but yeah, I do need to give it a more thorough
> reading.  Also, in all fairness, the first line of the guide is "So you've
> just compiled your favorite software package on your OpenBSD machine and you
> want to share your effort by turning it into a standard port.???, which could
> be interpreted to mean that building outside of the ports system is a
> prerequisite! :)
>
> Seriously though, thanks for the feedback.  I have some stuff going on today
> but I will dig into this more in the near future.
>
> jordon

You may end-up building out of tree but you picked a pretty big project for a
first port. The amount
of stuff the ports system will configure & set for you (like proper GCC version,
dependencies, env variables etc) is significant. In the worst case scenario it
will make it easier to build out of tree as you will be able to look at what the
ports system did to move that one step forward.

Regards,
Adam