Well, that explains it! Thanks for jogging my memory. *blush*

I bought this USB drive a while ago, and there was no exfat in ports at the
time. Now I remember I downloaded a port from an alternative source
(FreshPorts or ports.su) and dropped it into /usr/ports/sysutils and it
built just fine. I found the original tarball in my older laptop's
~/Download directory. It must've been sometime during 5.8 or 5.9. Somehow
the binary still works on my two older daily-use OpenBSD systems.

Has anyone managed to get exfat-fuse-1.2.4 from the official ports tree to
work? I've tried installing it from binary packages (in snapshots) as well
as building it from the latest ports.tar.gz downloaded this morning with
the same results. I'd rather use the official port if I can. I only have
one drive formatted this way, though I suppose I could use my Windows 10 VM
to make a few more to test with.