On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 03:07:36PM +0100, Giovanni Bechis wrote:

> On 02/23/17 17:44, Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was once the port maintainer of sysutils/anacron. I wrote the
> > pkg/README file and it's been bothering me ever since.
> >
> > I have attached a patch that fixes it in such a way that
> >
> > * Environtment variables are the same as in the default crontab for
> >   root.
> >
> /usr/local/{s,}bin is not in crontab(5) default path

Exactly, that's why the patch removes these paths.

> > * Absolute paths for /bin/sh are being used.
> >
> > * No pipe to tee (why did I even have that?).
> >
> > * Suggest adding an @hourly job to run anacron in root's crontab.
> >
> why is this needed ?

If the cron jobs are commented out of the crontab of root and instead
handled by anacron, anacron will have to be invoked at least daily.
Invoking it hourly is a good solution for a system that is running
during irregular hours.  This will ensure that anacron is run at least
once every day, even if the machine stays up >24h (in which case a
@reboot job is not enough) or if the machine isn't running at midnight
(in whuch case a @daily job wouldn't be run).  There is no resource
drain in doing this as anacron will just skip all jobs that won't be
needing running.

> > * Fixes @hourly and @reboot crontab suggestions so that it tests if the
> >   executable is present.  Is this a good idea? Maybe it's better to let
> >   it fail, so that it's spotted?
> >
> I think it is better to let it fail.

Then remove the "test -x ... &&"