On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 05:39:54PM +0200, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> Marc Espie wrote on Tue, May 16, 2017 at 10:38:07AM +0200:
> > On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 11:38:54PM +0200, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
>
> >>  5. If possible, install to man/language/manN, without any "_", ".",
> >>     or "@": KISS.  There are rare exceptions, most notably zh_CN
> >>     vs. zh_HK vs. zh_TW.
> >>     Never include the encoding in the path name, and make sure
> >>     the /language/ part never contains "." (a dot).
>
> > What are the other exceptions ?
>
> I don't think we should try to define an exhaustive list.

But having guidelines is good.  I understand why zh_* makes sense.

> A real-world need for a _REGION-coded manual page may come up
> in any port at any time and is hard to predict.
>
> That said, the following currently exist:
>
> sysutils/deja-dup/pkg/PLIST:@man man/en_AU/man1/deja-dup-preferences.1
> sysutils/deja-dup/pkg/PLIST:@man man/en_AU/man1/deja-dup.1
> sysutils/deja-dup/pkg/PLIST:@man man/en_CA/man1/deja-dup-preferences.1
> sysutils/deja-dup/pkg/PLIST:@man man/en_CA/man1/deja-dup.1
> sysutils/deja-dup/pkg/PLIST:@man man/en_GB/man1/deja-dup-preferences.1
> sysutils/deja-dup/pkg/PLIST:@man man/en_GB/man1/deja-dup.1
> comms/wammu/pkg/PLIST:@man man/en_GB/man1/wammu-configure.1
> comms/wammu/pkg/PLIST:@man man/en_GB/man1/wammu.1
> games/wesnoth/pkg/PLIST:@man man/en_GB/man6/wesnoth.6
> games/wesnoth/pkg/PLIST:@man man/en_GB/man6/wesnothd.6
> sysutils/deja-dup/pkg/PLIST:@man man/fr_CA/man1/deja-dup-preferences.1
> sysutils/deja-dup/pkg/PLIST:@man man/fr_CA/man1/deja-dup.1
>
> I think those are silly and should simply be deleted.
> I mean, come on, British translations of American manuals?
> Or Quebequois ones of French manuals?
> That does not make any sense, really.
Yes, I definitely agree with that. And that may  offend some people, so
that's really a good idea to delete these :D

> Then there are a number of /pt_BR/ in addition to /pt/.
> That looks suspicious, but i don't speak Portuguese,
> so it may or may not make sense, i don't really know.

I don't think BR makes sense, but I'll let portuguese/brazillians chime in.

(just for other people joining the discussion, we're only talking *manpages*.
For other localisation aspects, *of course* it does make sense to have
en_GB, en_AU, pt_BR !)