Paul Irofti <p...@irofti.net> writes:

> On 5/16/2017 8:35 PM, Daniel Jakots wrote:
>> On Tue, 16 May 2017 19:32:39 +0300, Paul Irofti <p...@irofti.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Right, so how about this?
>>
>> I think it's better that way. Thanks for taking care of. ok danj@
>
> What I am worried with this approach of cherry-picking specific CVE
> patches is that we might skip other patches (included in the latest
> release) that do not have associated CVE's or worse that the maintainer
> did not spot.

Agreed.  I tend to stick to version updates if possible because
backporting can sometimes be fiddly.  But there really seems to be
a single security fix in this libetpan release, and a major bump is kind
of a problem for -stable.  On the other hand, libetpan has a single
consumer - claws-mail - so that's not too much to rebuild.

Avoiding the bump just seems more appealing to me, some users might not
even be aware that they need to build new packages when a major bump
lands in -stable.

If you want to push libetpan-1.8 in -stable, maybe check twice that
a major bump is actually needed?

--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE