On 2017/06/16 23:18, Jakub Skrzypnik wrote:
> This time I ported (or, more precisely, "repackaged") the fonts from
> Ultimate Oldschool PC Font Pack project. These are actually accurate

The web page for them says "I do not claim any rights to the original
raster fonts on which this work is based", and "They are exact
duplicates of the original pixel fonts", and "The extra characters
were taken from international versions of the original hardware (if
available)".

It seems a bit of a stretch for someone who has converted them to
TTF to claim full copyright on them. Undoubtedly they have done a lot
of work sourcing, converting and designing missing international
characters, but it all feels like a derived work which would still
be subject to the original copyright which presumably would be owned
by companies like IBM and ATI.

None of this prevents them from going to ports with appropriate
PERMIT_* settings...

> But there's an idea to add them lately as "console fonts" when fcambus@
> is done with his pcvt work to remove that ugly Sun-lookalike
> default font. We'll see.

...but I think there's about zero chance of them going in the kernel
as console fonts.