Am Fri, 8 Dec 2017 16:28:00 -0800
schrieb "Stephen Graf" <s_g...@telus.net>:

> Thank you all for your comments.
> I am experimenting with an IP surveillance camera and plan to put a
> number of such cameras around the exterior of my house.

Some time ago I used "motion" with linux. Not that easy to set up, but
worked flawless and didn't use much cpu. OpenBSD has a port i haven't
tested yet: multimedia/motion

#---<snip>---

motion-3.4.1p3 – motion detection software for video
Description

Motion is a C program that monitors the video signal from one or
more V4L2/video(4) cameras or network-based webcams, and is able to
detect whether a significant part of the picture has changed. Or in
other words, it can detect motion.

Motion is a command line based tool. It has absolutely no graphical
user interface. Everything is setup either via the command line or
via a set of configuration files (simple ASCII files that can be
edited by any ASCII editor).

Motion can output JPEG/PPM images and MPEG video sequences, call
external programs, log to a database, etc.

Motion hasn't had an official release for some time; at present,
this package uses the forked code at https://github.com/Mr-Dave/motion/

Flavours:
        bktr - build with bktr(4) support instead of video(4)
        mysql - build with MySQL/MariaDB database support
        pgsql - build with PostgreSQL database support