On Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 04:15:47PM +0100, Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
> I have
>
> $ echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
> XFCE
>
> >   $ XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP= calibre
>
> The File->Open dialog box still didn't display properly, unfortunately.

[snip]

> Starting with XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME calibre, did not produce a
> usable dialog either, but XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE calibre did produce a
> working File->Open dialog, likely because I switched from KDE to XFCE a
> while back without uninstalling anything.

I was mistaken in the sense that starting calibre with
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP= does not reset the environment variable so calibre
was still using XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=XFCE. Sorry about that. Fortunately,
you tried another value as well and found that the problem goes away
if you use some other value, such as "KDE" (another random string will
be fine too, as long as it doesn't make Qt 5 use GTK3).

> Does this mean that we don't quite have the infrastructure in place for
> this package XFCE?

Personally, I don't think that is the problem. Rather, I think that
there's a bug somewhere, either in Qt 5 or GTK3 (I'm betting on Qt 5).
As you know from my first mail, I ran into this problem myself as well.
I'm very interested in fixing the problem but not sure when I'll be
able to make time to look into it more deeply. When I get to it, the
first thing I want to look at is
src/plugins/platformthemes/gtk3/qgtk3dialoghelpers.cpp of the qtbase
source code.

> At least now I get to add my recent acquisitions, which is good.

That's good to hear.

Best regards,
Caspar Schutijser