On 2018/01/09 15:13, Mike Larkin wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 10:39:30PM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > There was a new release of SeaBIOS recently which includes its own
> > serial console redirection code. This updates SeaBIOS, enables
> > CONFIG_SERCON and removes SGABIOS and the option rom-related
> > code/config.
> >
> > Working here in a quick test with OpenBSD guest (also gets rid of the
> > doubled characters in the boot loader seen before with SGABIOS) but I'm
> > not making heavy use of vmm myself.
> >
> > After building, to test:
> >
> > fw_update -p /path/to/packages/amd64/ -D unsigned
> >
> > To revert to the old one in case of problems, pkg_delete vmm-firmware
> > and re-run fw_update with no command line.
>
> cool, seems ok to me. if we do a quick sanity test with a linux guest
> bootloader (eg can you see grub), then I think this can become the default.
>
> thanks sthen

Ah damn, sorry, my testing methodology was bogus. It needs more than just
the config option, also it needs a fw_cfg variable to actually enable it,
which I had forgotten to workaround.

That's easy enough and works for HD boots (I've now got Alpine setup to
test) but something is wrong with CD boots (both with CONFIG_SERCON and
with SGABIOS).

No urgency (afaik) with the update, and I definitely don't want to cause
any work for you Mike :) but paging ccardenas if you are interested in
taking a look?

It hangs after "pci dev 00:04.0 using legacy (0.9.5) virtio mode" if
cdrom is used.

(I mostly looked at updating SeaBIOS because I thought it would be nice
to remove the Apache-license SGABIOS code).

Updated diff with the config part I missed before at
https://junkpile.org/seabios-1.11.0-diff,2