Hi Elias --

On 7/21/2018 7:57 AM, Elias M. Mariani wrote:
> Sorry to ping this but I would like to know how to proceed to keep working.
>
> Cheers.
> Elias.

>> Hi,
>> I have the following list of ports, all share interdependencies
>> between them, thats why I think that the best would be to commit the
>> hole thing together.
>> I'm talking about py-test.
>> I have the diff ready to update:
>> devel/py-hypothesis
>> devel/py-py
>> devel/py-test
>> devel/py-test-httpbin
>> devel/py-test-localserver
>> devel/py-test-mock
>> devel/py-test-runner
>> devel/py-test-xdist
>>
>> And a tarball with:
>> devel/py-test-forked (new dependency of devel/py-test-xdist).
>>
>> The question is:
>> Should I send a single diff + tarball ?
>> Should I send each by each ?
>>
>> And a bigger "Should I":
>> Maybe create a devel/pytest/* subdir to add the plugins and fix the
>> name convention ?
>> The tool is called pytest, and if we want to update several other
>> plugins of the tool I will need to add even more plugins that are
>> missing and now have interdependencies (like pytest-flake8 and
>> others).
>>
>> Ideas?
>> I attach the single diff and tarball just because is free.
>> I took the liberty of getting the maintainer, if I did wrong or
>> Alexandr wants to keep it, no problem.
>>
>> Cheers.
>> Elias.

I haven't seen any public replies to this so I'll throw one in.

I agree that an update of py-test is beneficial. A quick perusal of the
ports tree turns up at least one port that has its tests disabled
because it needs a newer py-test.

However, what I don't see either in your initial email with all the
diffs or any of your subsequent mails is any of the hard work that goes
into updating a more foundational port. There are lots of ports that
depend on py-test for their testing apparatus, and your emails leave me
less than confident that you have done the work to comb through py-test
(the Changelog perhaps as a start) to see if there's any potential
changes that would affect existing ports, or doing the work yourself of
actually running tests before and after the py-test update and comparing
the results. Bumping some MODPY_EGG_VERSION numbers and regen'ing some
PLISTs is easy; that's not the hard work.

It is one thing when it is a leaf port and a sloppy update breaks it. We
would still be annoyed, but the damage would be minimal, and very likely
spotted before ever being committed. I would be very upset if an update
to py-test broke the testing apparatus of any of my ports, because I
depend on them to find bugs and coordinate fixes with upstreams. A
breakage here would have the potential to significantly increase the
time and labor I have to spend on updates.

Frankly, something like this will take coordination with others. Coming
in with a plan, even if the plan itself ultimately gets changed
significantly, would be a good start. Your "Should I" section in your
original mail could be a part of that plan but is not itself a plan.

And I'm sorry that I don't have the time to work on an undertaking such
as this. But if you start down the path outlined above, you are likely
to eventually get the attention of interested developers. Bear in mind
that all this takes time, so "eventually" might be longer than you
originally anticipate.

~Brian