On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 03:45:50PM +0200, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> espie@ and ajacoutot@ would seem like a good team for deciding that
> to me, taking input from other porters working on infrastructure
> into account.

I'm actually for keeping LOCALBASE support.

> > bsd.port.mk(5) says
> >
> > BUGS AND LIMITATIONS
> >      LOCALBASE, X11BASE, SYSCONFDIR and PREFIX are not heeded consistently.
> >      Most of the ports tree will probably fall apart if one tries to
> > build/use
> >      stuff elsewhere.
>
> To me, that sounds like a very strong argument to remove support
> for these features as suggested by ajas 'let us just hardcode
> /usr/local and be done with it' gang.

> I mean, seriously, since when does OpenBSD indulge in providing bells
> and whistles that are not even *supposed* to actually work?  Besides,
> i have often heard even core porters groan that some aspects of the
> ports infrastructure are hard to master - most of that is certainly
> unavoidable because porting is a complex business, but when aiming
> for KISS, every small bit helps, and this does seem like an obvious
> chance to get rid of some complexity.

Technically, fixing that is waays simpler than it was two years ago.
Building stuff chroot'd by default means the layout of the filesystem is
more flexible, and I can very easily decide to put stuff outside of /usr/local
in my chroot if I want.

So yeah, it actually is on my todo list.  The current hooks are not complicated
at all, really.

> And i can't count the number of times that i saw people told that
> they mixed up LOCALBASE and PREFIX.
That's more a problem with documentation (or reading documentation) than
features.    Fixes for documentation welcome.

I can't count the number of times I've had to repeat how basic features work.
It seems some people can't figure out how to use mandocdb to look for various
things, including looking up instances of a variable in bsd.port.mk(5),
ports(7) and other variables.  Or how to use /LOCALBASE in more(1), I guess.

Maybe we should drop support for it in mandocdb. It's useless, porters don't
use the provided documentation...

See the irony ?