Thanks Marc I will check those out. And I port new and updated applications as there are missing or outdated packages for my needs.

On 2018-10-21 10:05, Marc Espie wrote:
On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 09:50:24AM -0500, Edward Lopez-Acosta wrote:
I have noticed that when building packages I am required to install
dependencies globally which leads to a messy system if I don't remember to
remove them. This is an issue when building ports that may not be installed
on the same system.

RTFM,
See proot(1) and dpb(1) and bulk(8)

Why do you build packages yourself, btw ?  It takes time and space, and
you can just use the trusted binary packages unless you have very good
reasons to avoid them.

Is it possible to somehow have the make process use a chroot and avoid
installing packages globally? Slight tangent, but why do pkg_add/pkg_delete
not prompt to confirm before taking actions which to me would make much more
sense than just doing the action right away.

This is Unix. Commands do stuff by default.   Observe rm. By default, it
removes files.