Hi George,

George Koehler writes:

> On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 23:51:43 -0800
> Xiyue Deng <manp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, this attempt failed with an ICE.  The build log is attached.  I
>> wonder whether it is because of "out of memory".  I did have a 5G swap
>> besides the 1G memory though (with infinity settings in /etc/logins.conf).
>
> My powerpc machine also has 1G of RAM and also got internal compiler
> errors from eg++ while building devel/llvm.  Sometimes, I got C++
> syntax errors without an internal compiler error.  The errors were
> not reproducible, so I built more of llvm by doing `make rebuild`
> multiple times, until the errors became too frequent.  Other programs
> had problems: fvwm and xterm sometimes crashed; tmux and cc1plus
> sometimes got stuck like an infinite loop.

I resumed dpb without cleaning the build directory, and it seems to have
progressed just fine.  It will still be a few more days to finish based
on my last experience on 6.3, and wish I get luck this time too.

> I suspect that I had corrupt RAM.
>
> 1G of RAM is not enough to build devel/llvm, so my machine needed to
> swap.  Using swap seems to cause the errors.  I don't know if my
> hardware (an old PowerBook5,4 running OpenBSD/macppc) can handle the
> stress of compiling and swapping at the same time.  I might try to
> write a program to test the hardware, and run it in both OpenBSD and
> Mac OS X.

My 5G swap seemed to work last time, and IIRC it had even got up to 3G
of swap usage at some point.  Anyway we are counting on the good ol' GCC
4.9.x, and we can only hope.

--
manphiz