Well I have been trying to use the fdopen approach that Sebastien proposed.
I get different results. (Test fails with this method).
I'm not proficient with C, but I'm guessing that using fflush with a
different struct changes the expected result ?

This is the code that I'm using for testing:

fdopen = libc.fdopen
fdopen.restype = ctypes.POINTER(ctypes.c_void_p)
fdopen.argtypes = [ctypes.c_int, ctypes.c_char_p]
c_stdout_p = fdopen(1, b"w")
c_stderr_p = fdopen(2, b"w")

The original version segfaults, for some reason I have to pass a
ctypes.POINTER to the functions, if you pass a int(ctypes.c_void_p) it
breaks...

Again, maybe someone with better eyes for python/C interfacing sees
something that I'm missing.
I attach the not working version for those who want to test other things...

Cheers.
Elias.